Wednesday 7 January 2015

Preparing Heffengen

The title here might be a bit misleading, given that the Battle of Heffengen has already happened. However, I had no time to post anything to the blog in the lead-up to it, and the report of the game is still very much a work in progress. So this post kind of serves 2 purposes - covering what was done in the lead-up to the game itself, and the fact that I'm still working on the report.

The end of December was a mad dash to try to prepare for the game. I had committed to getting my regiment of 60 Greatswords ready, and I also needed to paint up Baltasar Gelt. It's possible I was still painting Gelt at midnight on New Years Eve, although in my defence I was doing it at a party. I am wild like that. Party hard, dude. Paintbrushes akimbo.
60 Greatswords, all dressed up and ready to go.
Baltasar Gelt. Now that I've painted the model, I have to say I like most of it. Except that mask. It's a bit goofy.
The colours were a fairly arbitrary choice, the night before the game.
Anyway, I got them done. I also managed to paint up another 30 or so of my steel movement trays in order to accommodate as much of the game as possible (not everyone has suitable movement trays for their own models to field the big units we were after). A lot of magnetising also occurred - my entire Empire army now has magnets under their bases in order to hold them onto the movement trays. This was largely to make it possible for me to transport all my stuff already ranked up, rather than wasting an inordinate amount of time pulling it all out of cases on the day of the game. Thankfully Pete helped me by doing the bulk of the magnets, which made it all more achievable.

The game itself went pretty smoothly, and I've been wading through the 1000+ photos we took on the day. It's a bit of a headache, but hopefully I can start getting the report properly moving soon. Until then, here are a couple of samples.


10 comments:

  1. Hi Greg!

    Happy New Year! A little late but always honest! And what a start too! Can't wait to see another epic report from you and your little helpers. These three samples of photos are already mind blowing!

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The joys of complete and utter madness, and you share it with others, did you start your painting with lead based enamels perchance? Great stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, on lead miniatures. Whilst swigging from bottles of mercury and hitting myself continually over the head with a mallet. Thankfully I remain completely unaffected...

      Delete
  3. Well done on completing the Greatswords I had been following with interest.

    That looks like a smashing game and wait patiently for the battle report

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers. Patience is a virtue, after all. Or so I'm told.

      Delete
  4. For those who are unable to wait for the report, I am informed that there is a short and almost completely accurate re-creation of the battle performed by hippos on my blog: http://terrainforhippos.blogspot.com.au/2015/01/the-battle-of-heffengen-for-hippos.html
    Yup. That's accurate alright.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can't wait for the actual report to come up, although Hippos comic was awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Replies
    1. I'm afraid things have been a bit busy. Turn 1 is just about ready, but there is a whole lot of work to do elsewhere...

      Delete