Wednesday 5 September 2012

Preparing for Book of Grudges


Another weekend, another tournament. Only a week and a half after we flew back into the country, Book of Grudges is on. I really enjoyed the event last year (the first year it was run), so I was delighted when I heard that I would be able to make it this time around - I was kind of assuming it would occur whilst I was overseas. This year it's being held at the regular HGC venue, after Realm of Legends shifted stores and no longer had the room required. So it's nice and local for me, so there were really no excuses.

Unfortunately army lists were due whilst we were still travelling, and I found it difficult to find the time to really give my army much thought. I knew that I wanted something different from what I was using at the ETC - specifically, I wanted to include some infantry. Unfortunately I knew I wouldn't have much time for painting before the tournament, so I couldn't do anything too interesting. I tried making a couple of lists, but in the end this was what I settled for.

Book of Grudges Empire army list

General of the Empire
     General; Full Plate Armor
     Talisman of Preservation
     Crown of Command
     Enchanted Shield
     Shrieking Blade

Captain of the Empire on Pegasus
     Full Plate Armor; Shield; Battle Standard
     Dragonhelm
     Talisman of Endurance
     Biting Blade

Wizard Lord of the Light Order
     Magic Level 4; Lore of Light
     White Cloak of Ulric
     Dispel Scroll

Battle Wizard of the Light Order
     Magic Level 1; Lore of Light

Warrior Priest
     Great Weapon, Armour of Meteoric Iron

Witch Hunter
     Brace of Pistols; Light Armour

Master Engineer

50 Halberdiers
     Halberd; Light Armour; Standard; Musician; Sergeant

     Detachment of 25 Halberdiers
          Halberd; Light Armour

17 Crossbowmen

5 Demigryph Knights
     Barding; Lance; Shield; Standard; Musician

Great Cannon

Helblaster Volley Gun

Steam Tank



I'll be honest with you - I don't really know where I was going with this list. I wanted to try a few things I hadn't used before, like the Witch Hunter and the new detachment rules. I also wanted some magic with a bit more punch than I had at the ETC, and the Lore of Light kind of fit the bill. In particular it should be good against Undead and Daemons, the latter of which tend to give my armies problems.

Unfortunately my fiddling has resulted in me having 4 characters who all kind of want to travel with the main Halberdier unit, which feels slightly ridiculous. I also suspect I will miss my Knights, who got unceremoniously cut from my plans this time round, as I aimed for something a bit different. The list really feels like it lacks a decent number of substantial units, and is trying for a bit of everything without really excelling anywhere.

On the bright side, I should be able to get away with only having to paint 5 character models for the army. This is an indication that I really needed to paint more of those anyway, and it feels achievable in the timeframe.
My painting table as it currently stands. I also need to find a BSB to ride my Pegasus...
Book of Grudges looks set to have more than 50 players this year, which is an excellent number. Given my misgivings about my list, I would be very happy to make the top 10 again, so we will see how it goes. It's a slightly unpredictable tournament anyway, given the number of grudge matches that get thrown back and forth throughout the event. Something a bit different, and a lot of fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment